Review: Dragon Boat Palace

2 comments
Dragon Boat Palace Review


Welcome back to Merveilles de la Nourriture, today I'm going to write some reviews about yum cha buffet in Dragon Boat Palace :D

But before we start, I would like to apologize because I did not manage to take many pictures of the food... :(
I admit that I was too busy eating and thus forgot to take pictures... Sorry about that. I promise that I'll do better in the future... :D

Let's start....


Yes. It is Steamed rice-roll with shrimps (鮮蝦腸粉).




The size of the shrimp is quite big and the rice roll is soft too, so I think it's a good choice to warm up your palate :)
They also serve other type of Steamed rice-roll like Steamed rice-roll with Beef (牛肉腸粉) and also Barbecued Pork (叉燒腸粉). 
My favourite is the one with shrimp but they all almost taste the same. So it won't affect you if you miss one of them.


Yum~~~ ><
The next one is Deep fried meat dumpling (鹹水角). It is the one at the centre of the picture which looks like a halved-cut fried egg :p. The skin of the dumpling is chewy and the meat inside is tasty... I like it... :)

At the right side of the Deep fried meat dumpling, there is steamed minced prawn with Japanese tofu (Idk the correct name, sorry). The steamed minced prawn is not bad, but it is a bit tasteless.

The next thing I wanna talk is the steamed chicken feet with black bean sauce (豉汁蒸鳳爪). Honestly, I can't eat chicken feet. So I did not even touch it. But my friends seem to enjoy it so much. I guess it's quite nice after all. :p

We also have steamed pork ribs with black bean sauce, which is at the most left steam container. We actually had two containers. They are really delicious and juicy even though it is quite oily. Just try to separate the fat from the pork skin. It will help to reduce the amount of fat that you consume.

I'm not sure about this but I think it is a pan fried rice roll with mushroom and meat fillings. It's the one on the plate on the extreme left. I love this so much. I really like this one because it tastes similar to what we call "martabak telur" in my hometown. :p The skin is crunchy with mouth melting fillings inside it. It's just gorgeous. ><

There is also cheese topped mussels which is one of the best dish there. The mussel is not fishy and it's easy to eat as well. The cheese is just right. It's recommended. :D


The interior:


Since there are too many things to be explained let me just do it this way:

Rice Congee : A bit bland. Too little side dish for the congee, only chicken, green onion and century egg. The distribution of the century egg is uneven. I don't get any century egg while my friend has a lot of it. :(

Deep fried wonton (炸雲吞) : Not bad. But doesn't really catch my attention.

Spring Roll : It's quite nice compared to other spring roll that I've eaten so far in Melbourne.

Pan fried Taro cake (煎芋頭糕) : It's soft and tasty. Not as oily as what it looks.

Steamed vegetarian dumpling (潮州蒸粉果) : Maybe this one is not as interesting as other dumpling as it only contains veggies in it. However, I think it's yummy after eating all those meat and seafood.

Fried beancurd sheet roll (煎腐皮卷) : Good and quite chewy

Sweet and sour pork : My favourite dish! It's served warm and very delicious. Just need a bit more sour. :)

Steamed egg custard bun (奶皇包) : Well, i don't really like it. But overall it is not bad.

Steamed barbecued pork bun (叉燒包) : It just taste the same as any other pork bun except the bun was really soft and palatable.

Deep fried sesame bun : This one is just tasty. I really like the crispiness on the skin of the bun complemented with the sweetness of the bean paste inside. It's just perfect. ><

Siu Mai (燒賣) : Not as good as what I was expecting. It's quite bland and too chewy. The stuffing is too much.

Ha-Gau (蝦餃) : The prawn was juicy and big enough to indulge yourself with. Good choice.

Sticky rice wrapped in lotus leaf (糯米雞) : This one reminds me of Bak Chang (粽子). Since it's been a long time since the last time I ate Bak Chang. I found the sticky rice was really delicious. The taste is just right for me :D

Deep fried plain bun (炸饅頭) : This is also one of the best thing that I had in Dragon Boat Palace. Although it seems like any other plain bun, this fried plain bun is perfectly fried with no oil left in the outer  side of the bun. It's tasty and they also provide you with condensed milk as dipping sauce. It's swweeeettttt... ><

Unfortunately,  I cannot remember all the food that I ate. I'm also having trouble with the name of the dishes since most of them are in Chinese. Therefore, I have to stop here for the main course. I'll put up more pictures when I go there for the second time. :D
Please keep checking... :)


DESSERT TIME!!!


"That's all?"
Sadly, yes. They don't serve much variety of dessert there. But I'm more than satisfied with the dessert as I don't expect that they have dessert.

As you can see, the red one is watermelon. Nothing special about this.

The multicolour jelly is quite refreshing. It's a bit sour with different taste in each layer such as orange, strawberry, cola and many other.

The heart shaped pudding is not really mango pudding. I'm not sure what it is. But it's quite sweet and chewy.

The white dessert which looks like tofu is actually sago pudding. It's a bit tasteless but the texture of it is not bad.

The highlight of the dessert is the sago soup with jelly. It's really refreshing. All my friends and me have two bowl each. Don't miss this one. It's sweet, cold, and refreshing. :)

They also actually have sago pudding with read bean in it. It's not bad either.


Additional Note:
I'm a bit disappointed that they do not have egg tart on that day. I have anticipated it so much since my friend told me that it will be great. :(

The service is good and elegant, but there are too few carts going around to serve the food. As the result when there are a lot of customers in the restaurant, the service was really messy. Many customers can't wait for the cart to arrive at their table. From what I saw that day, a big family next to us was really upset with the service and they take the food from the cart by themselves, which is a bit shocking to see... :p
Hopefully the restaurant can fix this.

Lastly, I have a small complaint regarding the service. One of the waitress was quite rude to us. She even ignored us and just left when we called her. What made me upset was she said something unpleasant to us while driving the cart away. I hope that she won't do it to other customers.




So what is my overall impression?
Price: 9.5/10
Food: 9/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 7.5/10
Overall: 8.5/10





Estimated price/Person : AUD$16.80 for Lunch

_______________________________________________________________________




For more information about Dragon Boat Palace :
149 Lonsdale St.
VIC, Melbourne 3000






~Rondoletto~


Dragon Boat Palace on Urbanspoon
If you like this post, please share it!
Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

2 Response to Review: Dragon Boat Palace

Ly
September 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM

eh.coba yg d shark fins deh. enk jgk!! hahaha

September 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM

iyah? itu dimana? mahal?

Post a Comment